Mateo Kovacic Ruled Out With Undisclosed Injury as Manchester City Injury Crisis Deepens
The Premier League champions have been beset by injury problems since the start of the season, most notably the loss of Ballon d’Or winner Rodri for the rest of the season.

Manchester City’s squad has been decimated with various fitness issues for the past couple of months, and a further blow was delivered with news that midfielder Mateo Kovacic could be ruled out for up to a month with an undisclosed injury.
Guardiola confirmed Kovacic returned from the international break injured. The midfielder was hurt playing for Croatia against Portugal in the UEFA Nations League and was substituted at halftime.
related stories
“Will be a while," Guardiola said. “Three weeks or a month."
Man City boss Pep Guardiola says Mateo Kovacic will be out injured for “three weeks or a month" 🚨 pic.twitter.com/JoXLuKDyqF— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) November 22, 2024
The Premier League champions have been beset by injury problems since the start of the season, most notably the loss of Ballon d’Or winner Rodri for the rest of the season.
Midfield maestro Kevin De Bruyne also succumbed to the injury bug early this season, but instilled a ray of hope with cameos in City’s losses against Sporting CP and Brighton.
City, who are in the midst of an injury crisis, have also hit an unprecendented dry streak, losing every one of their last four games, a feat that transpired for the first time ever in boss Pep Guardiola’s career as a coach.
It all started in the Carabao Cup for City who fell to Tottenham Hotspur in a 2-1 duel, which as followed by a loss with the same scoreline against Bournemouth in the Premier League.
But, things took a turn for the worst when Guardiola’s men were left shell-shocked by now-Manchester United boss Ruben Amorim’s Sporting Lisbon in a 4-1 travesty in the UEFA Champions League last week.
Their unlucky streak of loss carried over to the PL yet again, as Man City were stunned 2-1 by Brighton this past weekend, pushing City to second place, five points behind table-toppers Liverpool.
But, it seems like the defending champions fortunes may begin ot turn as according to Fabrizio Romano and pictures posted by the club, key players Kevin De Bruyne, John Stones, Jack Grealish and Manuel Akanji were all seen taking part in training on Wednesday, ahead of their weekend match-up against Tottenham Hotspur.
With Arne Slot’s Liverpool looking down on City, five points clear, from the top, Guardiola’s side will hope to return to winning ways when they take on Ange Postecoglou’s inconsistent Spurs on Saturday.
(with agency inputs)
- Location :
- First Published: